Tuesday, April 15, 2008

mY sToRy

It dawned on me last night as to why I was feeling a little down. I had also recently been comtemplating telling my story of survival. If you've frequented my blog you may have seen the banner at the very bottom "A blood donor saved my life"...So here goes...
3 years ago on March 14th I found out that I was pregnant. I was excited and scared to death at the same time, after all I was 41 years old. My doctor had told me that if I wanted another child do it before I was 45. Still it had been a LONG time since my second. 15 years to be exact. On April 14th something was terribly wrong. I lost the baby. We were devastated. It was a horrible experience at the hospital. The doctor was a complete ass. The baby had died and my body wasn't letting it go. They had to operate. The baby was 3 months old.
In late September of that year I called up a friend and asked her to bring me a pregnancy test. That sucker turned bright blue in a split second, I was pregnant. I saw this as a gift from God. See, it was around that time that the baby I had lost would have been born. Instead of being depressed about the loss I was able to be excited (and again scared) about this new little life inside of me. I knew that I couldn't worry or get upset in anyway and risk losing another so I prayed that God take full charge of this new life. The pregnancy actually went very well. I didn't even have morning sickness which I did with my other two daughters. All of the check ups were normal. In late April I started having contractions. It was too early. They put me on bedrest in hopes of keeping this little one in as long as possible. I actually went past the due date. They finally decided to induce the labor and put me in the hospital. I started having contractions but this baby just didn't want to come out, it's head wouldn't drop into the birth canal. In an instant things went wrong again. I was bleeding way too much. Three pushes and there she was. The most beautiful newborn I have ever seen. She was perfect. I don't remember too much of what was going on after that point. I was dying. They were doing everything possible to stop the bleeding. I had gone into DIC, the number one cause of death during childbirth. My blood would no longer clot. They had given me 9 pints of blood. At the last minute the doctor decided that the only option was to try an emergency hysterectomy and even that was risky. I woke up in the hospital 3 days later, alive. I was visited by almost everyone who worked at that hospital. My daughter Madison and I were the miracle that everyone had to see for themselves. We both could have died. A total of 5 days in the hospital and the doctor told me that I could go home. I had healed so quickly, he was shocked. He told me that normally after what I had gone through I should have been there for at least two weeks. I haven't told this story alot but I think it is time as a sort of healing for me. I found this picture recently of baby Madison. I think it is a portrait of an angel.


Moonwillow said...

Wow that is an amazing story! You were touch and continue to be touched by an angel. I for one am glad that you both made it through! Hugs

Mary S Hunt said...

Telling the story is vey much a part of your healing. She is a beauty though, and I am glad for your family that you are both doing well!

altjoujou said...

Oh, wow!! That's a beautiful testimony of faith, hope and love!
God bless you & your family,
~alisa R.

Anonymous said...

That's a miracle worth sharing! God Bless.

Anonymous said...

that's a miracle, thank you for sharing it. it reinforces our faith in God.

peggy gatto said...

Lovely story because of the ending!

slayne81 said...

Deana, that is a great story. Blood donation saved my life too. I am the owner of blooddonorsrock.com and I am looking for some stories about blood donation and I would love to post your story on our site which is to be going live on 2/1/10. I would love to hear from you! My email is info@blooddonorsrock.com.
Stephanie L.

Barefoot Nana said...

I'm Deana's Mother and I was at the hospital as soon as they took Deana. I never left her side until she started bleeding and I knew something was very wrong. The nurses took me to the nursery and I had the honor of giving this litte angle baby her first bath, dressed her and put her first little had on her. I stayed with that little baby for three days as if she was my own until Deana could have her in her own room. Such a close cause of loosing my loving first born child just kept me in constant worry and was on the phone with Deana's father almost every day until I knew she was going to make it. Til' this day there is such a closeness between Deana's little girl and I that can't be explained. I truly think that those three days of caring for her makes it all possible. God is so good and I still pray alot for Deana and her sweet little girl Maddison. They both are the true joy of my life and will be for the rest of my life here on earth.


Related Posts with Thumbnails
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected All art posted on this website is protected under U.S. & International Copyright Laws. No portion of any of the artist's work or statements may be duplicated, downloaded, copied, reproduced, or altered in any way without prior written permission from the artist.